Good comments Mike.  But how can you tell by looking at a name displayed
without a period that it is just a letter and not an initial that stands for an
abbreviated word?  Are you suggesting that you would have to continually check
each name to see if it had been excluded from the potential problems?  I know
that Legacy has had the quoted name standard for nicknames but I mentioned that
many have used quoted single letter names to indicate that the letter is not an
abbreviation but only a single letter.  This method was in use prior to any
version of Legacy and is still in use by many.  It was because of Legacy's
method of quoting nicknames and the need to clearly identify single letter
names that are not nicknames which prompted my question.  By excluding each of
these names from potential problems only prevents them from being reported as a
problem but does not solve the issue of knowing that a single letter in a name
does not stand for something
 like an initial with a period does.
Ron Taylor