Picked up most of this thead this AM.  Glad to see healthy dialogue.
A couple of return thoughts.

1.  The primary reason I ask about citations is because my intent is
to publish my file--likely only to the web, but given that the
information will be accessible to others, I'm trying to meet a
standard higher than simply recording where I got the information
from.
2.  RE: Mills and Facebook, she doesn't call out Facebook specifically
with a citation, but it is included in the book, in §2.33 Core
Elements to Cite (Online Materials):

"Online sources are publications with the same core elements as print
publications.  This rule applies ... [when] we are using a
social-networking site such as Facebook, MySpace, or LinkedIn. ... If
the website offers multiple items by different creators (as with the
social networking sites), it is the equivalent of a book with chapters
by different authors.  That calls for citations of ... additional
items."

The items mention include citing the title of the personal page and,
when necessary, the item's creator.

Thus, the challenge with Facebook is that using the generic source
makes it appear that, in my example, Barack Obama is the author or
creator of the website.  He, of course, isn't.  He is the author of a
page within the website.  If we treat this like a book with multiple
chapters then we should source both, but I see no Legacy template that
does this.

Internet > E-journals and e-magazines might provide the best solution:

First citation:
Barack Obama, "Barack Obama," *Facebook*  (http://www.facebook.com :
accessed 9 Jun 2010)

Source list:
*Facebook*. http://www.facebook.com.

You have to ignore some of the fields, but you get the citations
above, which aren't too far off from what I think they should be.  The
Source List doesn't include the page, just the website, which after
thought might be better anyway.  It certainly means less Master
Sources, as there is now only one for all of Facebook (the rest is at
the detail level).  It also seems to be better in that the
bibliography only lists the "book" (that is, the website), not the
"chapter" (the actual page).

Scott