From: Kathy Meyer
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Sent: 27 August 2010 21:17
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Save As vs Backup

Thanks, I figured that was the case; i.e., that you would have to restore
back to the original folders; however, I would probably not have those same
folders if my computer crashed or if I wanted to restore to my laptop.  I
guess I need to be very strict with my organization for that to work.  Maybe
I should start storing my pictures that I use in Legacy in a separate
"legacy/photos & documents" file or something of the sort; just a copy and
then have the other stored in my other folders that are named for each
family group.  Then if my computer crashed, I could copy that file from an
external backup first.  So follow this and tell me if I'm following this
right:  If my computer crashes or if I want to put my Legacy file on my
laptop, including multimedia this is how I do it.

1 - move all of the picture/document files to the computer in question
2 - restore my Legacy data file
3 - restore my Legacy multimedia via winzip (or similar)

So when I restore the multimedia via winzip, do I need to do anything
further for my Legacy file to access the multimedia?

I hope somebody has actually done this and it was successful :-)  My
computer has crashed multiple times and I do keep backups; my concern is
whether my multimedia will ever be incorporated back into my file without me
going through every single picture and adding it back in to each person in
the file.

And of course, that was only part of my question; guess I should have
started two threads but I didn't realize til now that it was really
separate. Thanks for the help!

Kathy

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Jenny M Benson <ge...@cedarbank.me.uk>
wrote:

On 27/08/2010 20:41, Kathy Meyer wrote:
>   I know I have backups and I can get the data back from a backup but
> the multimedia files have to be restored using winzip or similar and
> doesn't put the images back into the Legacy file.  I'm wondering what
> use it is to even add pics & docs (multimedia) into the program if I
> can't back it up in a way that I can restore it to its original state.

Not sure quite what you mean by "doesn't put the images back into the
Legacy file."

The images never are "in" the Legacy file:  Legacy stores the location
of the images so that it can find and open them.  If you backup your
multimedia files and later restore them (using Winzip or whatever) TO
THE FOLDER WHERE THEY CAME FROM Legacy will have no trouble in locating
and showing them.

If you are getting an error message that Legacy can't locate an image
you have restored it to a different folder and you need to either move
it (and probably all your other images) back to where it was originally
or else tell Legacy where the image(s) is/are now stored.  If they are
in more than one folder, you just need to find one image in each folder
for Legacy then to locate everything.

--
Jenny M Benson