Elizabeth:

It can be confusing but once you figure it out you'll wonder what the
difficulty was.

A *source* is a book, census, cemetery marker, letter--whatever gave you the
information.  A *citation* is the form you use to record the information from
the source.  To record the same information for several different people you
would select an item from the Master Source List, put it on the Source
Clipboard, add the Detail Information and Text/Comments, and then attach it to
any applicable fields on the Individual's Information screen for any number of
different individuals.

In the process above there are two separate areas called "Text/Comments."  The
first is used for general comments regarding the entire source and is entered
or added at the Master Source level.  For a published family genealogy (book),
it might be something like, "Poorly researched work containing few original
citations and several obvious conflicts."  (That's probably not something I
would actually say so bluntly.)  The second "Text/Comments" field, which is
found on the Source Clipboard, is for specific data from a *part* of the
source, perhaps a certain page or paragraph.

I'd recommend that you experiment with that and get it clear in your mind
before going on to other steps.  In addition to data on the upper portion of
the Individual's Information screen there is a section for "Events/Facts" such
as Citizenship, Education, Residence, etc.  Those can (and should) also have
source citations.  Entering Events and their corresponding sources can become
something of an artform that would probably best be left until after you master
the basics.

Kirsten