I testing Families on the Android right now so it's too early for me to
comment specifically on that but the idea of access a PC remotely is a good
suggestion.  Beyond VNC apps, you can also look at services such as
LogMeIn.com.  I use the free version to access and remotely my home computer
from a variety of locations.