.This is a big part of my original question, and I've not yet worked
out my game plan on this yet.  For me, the TODO would be something
like "Find Obituary", but I'm getting the sense that others (most?)
make even more granular TODO items (perhaps for each source?).  That
seems like more work, not less to me, but like I said I'm still
working it out for myself.

Following the example I put up before, I'd put something like this in
the research notes or results...

Task: Thoroughly searched newspapers looking for Obit of Jane Doe.
N/A [x], [y], [z]