James,

You might want to look at Burke's "General Armory" on Google Books, and visit
the website of the College of Arms.  www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/

>From the perspective of what you can do with Legacy, this deserves more
>general treatment than the thread title implies.  Relatively few are actually
>male line descended from "knights", and the only hope for female descent
>tracing is conventional genealogy.  Now that we have good tools for yDNA study
>though, positive proof of remote connections may remain elusive, but
>probabilities may be calculated and with more reliability than conventional
>genealogy - which can never exclude the occasional cuckoo in the nest.

Now, a 19th century brick wall may yield to a 95% or higher probability linkage
to a well researched 18th or 17th century family.   That gives two directions
and locations to search from for the missing link(s), for pure genealogy
purposes, but an immediate chapter and the prospect of several more for the
family historian.  In my case, I crossed such a gap by using computer methods
on conventional material, Bayesian probability to span from 1500 to the Norman
Conquest - the domain of Heraldry - and on a bit further using DNA and sparse
History, to the Dark Age sire of my Brittons and, as I now know, to equally
close modern cousins with a variety of surnames.

Legacy can do surprisingly well to handle this kind of data, but the report
generation wasn't designed for it. It's possible to grow an odd extension from
the top of a conventional tree, but there's certainly a good argument for just
making a separate one which can be merged at need.  A general approach is to
adopt personal conventions for naming provisional placeholders and handling
gaps.  Legacy won't complain unduly, for instance, if the parent of a child
lives 200 years before his son, and it can be ordered to shut up if you choose
the separate file route.  That leaves gaps as - well gaps.  Legacy Timeline
Charting may or may not have a problem with that, but there's no forest of
placeholders.

An alternative is to divide a gap into generations, preferably by whatever rule
your DNA calculations use, and span across it by a chain of placeholders.  That
can be very informative if names are well chosen, e.g. Henry III Placeholder, a
member of the famous Placeholder family living in the reign of that king.
Makes the Name List a quick index to a particular period and the notes thereon.
 Another good one where DNA tree analysis is available is DYSxxx=yy
Placeholder, to log the estimated date of a mutation.  Legacy will bitch at
that, and it's simplest to lie about or ignore dates for Legacy purposes, so
that entries are sequential but the charting compact. This scheme allows a
complete DNA tree to be entered into Legacy in text form, but identical
independent mutations towards the bottom of a tree do cause the same
merging/UID confusions as two James Smiths.

kb