From: Terry Foster <tfost...@kc.rr.com>
Subject: [LegacyUG] location Tamer
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Date: Friday, August 26, 2011, 4:57 PM

I'm a developer by trade and am fairly adept at Microsoft Access. I love Legacy
but I have found all genealogy software sorely lacking in the ability to manage
locations and do research on locations in the database.

Since Legacy uses MS Access as a back-end I decided to add a form and some code
to do what I have always felt all genealogy software should do. I would like
someone to vet this work before I submit it to Legacy as a suggested
enhancement.  Please let me know if you are interested.

Here's a few things this form does:

Displays all location data.
(http://electricfoster.info/SourceDocs/LocationTamer/Screen1.jpg)
Show all events tied to a location
(http://electricfoster.info/SourceDocs/LocationTamer/Screen2.jpg)
List all child locations in a parent (All cities in a county)
(http://electricfoster.info/SourceDocs/LocationTamer/Screen3.jpg)
Browse to google maps for each location
(http://electricfoster.info/SourceDocs/LocationTamer/Screen4.jpg)

I have made a user guide, of
sorts:http://electricfoster.info/SourceDocs/LocationTamer/LocationTamer.pdf

These features, coupled with the ability to quickly edit and standardize
locations in a database, are essential to me.  I'm just so happy I can make it
work in Legacy. I thought I would share.

You will need to know how to import a form and a VBA module into an Access
database in order to use this.

Please don't attempt this unless you know your way around an Access database
and please, always back up your data before trying something like this.  I just
may not be as good as I think I am!

Terry