From: "andersons...@comcast.net" <andersons...@comcast.net>
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Cc: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Sent: Wed, August 31, 2011 11:23:04 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Source Name Filing System

Paula,

I think that's a good idea to put the first marriage behind the second.  In my
mind, to keep everything straight, I tend to think of the Line I'm researching
and make that the determining factor on how I will look at things and set up my
folders, etc.

Not to cause a big debate here, but I try to save myself as much time and
trouble as possible, so when I file anything I think about the easiest way for
me to find something.  So, yes, I do file the census in the surname folder for
each family mentioned on that page(s).  I feel that hard disk space is fairly
cheap compared to the aggravation I'm caused when I can't find something. For
example, my Mom called today with a question about the censuses I had listed in
a Legacy report I had given her (she was actually reading it!) and without
having to think about it while I was talking to her, I looked in the documents
folder for the Surname and all the censuses were there for me to look at and
answer her question. But two of the censuses had other family relations living
next door and down the street, and those families had the same census in their
folders. I guess it is easiest for me to have everything together by name - it's
the way I think about genealogy.

As for pictures, I keep my pictures by surname in folders in my Pictures folder,
separate from those in the Legacy folder.  First, I have many more pictures than
I will put into Legacy and second, I want to keep my untouched-up photos
separate.  Every picture in the Legacy folder I have had to crop or touch-up.

Ah, documents. Presently, they are not in the Legacy folder on my computer. I
have followed the pros and cons here, but I already had my structure set up
before I started using Legacy, and I felt if I couldn't see them in Legacy
reports, and yet still link them within Legacy, it was fine.  I know there have
been changes in Legacy, so if I can print documents in a Legacy report I will
think about having them the Legacy folder.

Hope this help.
Faith