Hi Jane,

This is a procedure that I use to add ‘USA’ to the end of locations…

BACKUP your file first.  Read the CAUTION note below…

Go to Search/Search and Replace (Ctrl H)
Select Lists-Location
Check ‘Ends With’  (Important)
Check ‘Replace only found text with replacement text’  (Important)
Find What? ‘, Indiana’ (note: I’ve used comma/space/Indiana)
Replacement text ‘, Indiana, USA’  (again comma/space/Indiana, USA)

This will replace all locations ending in ‘, Indiana’ with ‘, Indiana, USA’

16 College Avenue, Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana
will become
16 College Avenue, Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana, USA

It will not change 16 College Avenue, Bloomington, Monroe County,Indiana
(no space between the comma and Indiana)  If you are less cautious you can skip
the comma/space.

* * CAUTION… * *
Be sure to have a backup of your file.  Check your file after to be sure you
haven’t made major unplanned changes.
When you click on ‘Start’ it will take you to the first instance it finds and
you have the choice to ‘Replace’ or ‘Replace All’.  ‘Replace’ will step you
through one change at a time.  ‘Replace All’ does just that.  There is no ‘Undo’
This will change any location ending in ‘, Indiana’ to ‘, Indiana, USA’
It is possible that another location ends in ‘Indiana’ that is not in the USA –
this will be changed as well.
I use the comma and space to further limit what it finds.  Be sure to include
the comma and space before the place name in both the ‘Find What’ and
‘Replacement Text’
You may wish to repeat this (or similar) procedure for ‘List-Location-Short’
You will have to repeat this procedure for every state in the USA.
The reason for selecting ‘Ends With’ is to prevent replacing the word ‘Indiana’
elsewhere in the field and to skip those that already end in ‘USA’ (or
something else)  You don’t want Indiana, USA, USA.

* * If you are faint of heart - use the same procedure as above but use ',
Indiana' as the text for 'Find What' AND 'Replacement Text'.  Then manually
edit the text in the 'Replacement' box and do each one individually. By using
the same wording for both steps it will simply replace the found text with the
exact same text if it is not one you wish to change, or if you accidentally hit
the wrong button.  Copy and paste ', USA' will work here.

I think this is what you were trying to achieve.

Bob