I wouldn't use cloud storage for anything except backups.  If your internet
connection is down for any reason, you wouldn't have access to your data.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Sherry/Support [mailto:she...@legacyfamilytree.com]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 1:03 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Security

Password protect the laptop, mobile device, thumbdrive, etc.

I believe you can find programs on the web to use to encrypt specific files.

Don't forget, if someone really wants to get it, nothing's safe!

I personally don't like cloud storage and saw a great example of "why not" at
the last computer group meeting I went to - the wi-fi was down and the
presenter was totally unable to do his presentation.....

Certainly having your own "hot spot" for $30 or more a month will solve that
problem, but not everyone wants to spend the money as insurance.

The absolute safest for your Family File on a mobile device is to bring an
"abbreviated" copy - one that doesn't have dates or other confidential
information on living people....  after all, most likely you're researching
those who are further back in history where security of data isn't an issue.

Sincerely,
Sherry
Technical Support
Legacy Family Tree