Marriage Allegations were involved whenever a marriage was by Bishop's Licence,
recorded in the bishop's records, hence that's a place to look when a parish
register indicates a marriage other than by Banns, or because no marriage
record can be found in the couple's parish registers. It's church business,
literally, as it provides the church for compensation for the hassles resulting
if the marriage does not take place or must be vacated - lost fee(s) and extra
work for which there is no standing fee schedule. An example is a licence to
wed issued to a minor because of false representation of age which must be
annulled with action taken for broken law(s).

The bishop's record will normally list all conditions imposed, what is alleged
that was relied on by the bishop in making his decision, and the source and
amount of the bond.  Frequently, the couple will be given the option of two
churches, neither of which need be the home parish of either.  No data will be
specified, but I think a time period may apply. The bond must be credible, so
it infers the financial status of the bondsman, a third party suggesting a poor
groom resorting to family support or services of a bondsman. Other information
may be available through no other record.  (Victorian era study, matching
surviving Bishops Records at Wells, Somerset, to parish ones and vice versa
parish "by Licence" records to Bishop's, concluded that as many as 50% of all
marriage records were lost - and that was before WWII bombing burnt the county
archives...)

Two cases from my family:  One Allegation asserted the bride's father's
permission, giving her age as 27 and her surname, found nowhere else.  Another
Licence gave two parish options, neither the adjacent parishes of the couple,
and that the bride was a widow.  Follow up found the marriage record, then her
earlier marriage at the same parish, giving her maiden name and family plus a
different spelling for her first husband's surname and his home parish, where
she later resided as a widow. Both husbands were of yeoman class with extended
families 3 miles apart, so the Licence options of the bride's original parish
or another NOT either home parish and inconveniently distant.  That suggested a
schism within the second husband's family, of which he was the heir, based on
opposition to the widow.  He and his son died nearly simultaneously, leaving a
minor grandson who seems to have been dispossessed by family "management" of
his patrimony.  He moved away 50 or so miles at his majority and was the
husband of the first allegation above.

Jenny is probably right about the best place for such records in Legacy, as
they are church business records, not religious ones.  I couldn't agree more
with wish for Legacy support regarding "what real UK sources are and what they
reveal".  That's probably too much to hope for as a program feature, but could
something be seeded into a context sensitive Help menu?  Or perhaps a link to
an online web page discussing such?

kb