På Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:30:27 +0100, skrev <cranberryf...@cobridge.tv>:

> You should record the location as it was at the time of the event unless you
> keep your research completely to yourself and never share it with anyone.
> If you share the info in any way, shape or form, you really should conform
> to how everyone else does it or it will only cause confusion :) :) :)

If only it was that simple..
In my mothers family a lot of ancestors came from the same county (kommune),
which in 1964 merged with another county.
Before 1964 it was written Grindum, Grinnum, Grinnums, Grinnem, Grindem,
Grindems, Grindheim, Bjelland og Grindum, Bj. pr.gj. - Grinnums and so on in
many more variations.
And these variations were not really chronoligally dependent, but were written
in several variations the same year, depending on who was writing.
Say you have in a census, a childs birth place is written as Grindum, and in
the church book from the same year the place is called Grinnem, what should you
write?
If you save the source text you'll have the place name as written saved anyway,
but in the birthplace field I think it is much better to use a standardized
spelling. As John also mentioned, Internet has made a difference, not to
mention computers.
For searching, reports etc it is very useful to have a uniform spelling in the
location field, and as long as the original spelling is stored (preferably in
an AKA field) what's wrong with that?
I usually write Grindheim, Audnedal (which is the name of the new merged
kommune/county), Vest-Agder (fylke/state?).

--
Bjørn K Nilssen - b...@bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas