Here's my thinking on it, Paula, trying to explain as briefly as
possible.  Quite often when you go to a genealogy website, the first
thing you do is pull up the master person list to check for your
possible ancestors.  On many websites (if not most), you will see the
very top of the list will begin with those that ONLY have first names
like a bunch of Andrews, Sarahs, Williams, the word UNKNOWN that lots of
people use, etc.

The FIRST NAME ONLYs are generally at the very top of the index and they
basically tell you nothing meaningful unless there are also columns for
the spouse or parents.  So, I wanted to provide a possible eye-catching
list that always has a FIRST NAME and a SURNAME.  Neither of them are
ever blank because I use as much information as I have to describe the
missing pieces of the puzzle.  Whether it will eventually work to get
people to respond with the right information, we are not sure yet, but
at least it looks more organized and is easier to go through our list.
I have at least enough information to know that a complete father or
mother, sister or brother's name is missing or, of course, I would leave
it completely blank.

With that type of system,  I can easily filter a list of all my unknown
names because a ? always appears in the FIRSTNAME field.  You can get a
better idea of what I mean by going to our website (username = FullGuest
and password = merriam), and sorting on contains ? for the FIRSTNAME
field.  It depends on what is missing as to where the ? appears, but if
the Given Name is missing we use Given Name ? and if the entire name is
missing we use Name ?, etc.   I know the purists on here think that is
horrible, but I'm trying to use the computer database in the most
organized way I can with the information I have.  I hope that makes a
little bit of sense anyway.

Sincerely,
Jerry Boor - MerriamFamilyTree.org