Lea-Anne,

Firstly, let me say that I am just saying that this is the way in which I
record data, and not a recommendation that anyone should change the way in
which they work. I have not seen Geoff's webinar, but I know from the Sample
File that I do not work the same way as Geoff. I should perhaps add that
when deciding how I was going to store data my first consideration was how
the data would look on the web, reports were a second consideration. These
considerations led to me deciding not to have Census Events.

There have been a number of previous discussions on LUG as to whether a
census is an Event or a Source (please let's not debate it again - it's in
the archives), and I do admit that I tend to come down on the side of it
being a Source. Actually, I am mellowing as I get older, because at one time
I would have said it was definitely only a Source :-).

I do not record people who are not in any way related to my tree eg.
servants etc. except where there is a special reason, eg. if a son marries
the family's maid then I will put something in the Marriage Event . I am
conscious that some will say I can easily miss connections this way, and I
would not disagree, although I suspect that the number of times this happens
is very low. If I wanted to I could always add them as a comment to the
Source Detail - but I don't!

My Residence Event is not a replacement for a Census Event, it is a record
of where each person has lived and when; it can, therefore, include at
birth, at marriage, at army registration, in fact whenever a new location
crops up. Similarly I have Occupation Events where, again, I use the census
as a Source. In fact if any data on the census can be used as a Source for
any type of Event, then that is how I use it.

Ron Ferguson
http://www.fergys.co.uk/