My question for Jerry is why do you need a standard? For any given country (or
indeed groups of countries) the sorting R to L will work because within that
country all locations will follow a standard. So if you had a list it might
look like:

England, County, Town, Street
England, Different County, Different Town
England, Different County, Third Town
United States, State, County, Town
United States, Different State, Different County

So all the related locations, that is, by country, or English county or USA
state are grouped together. What else is required? I ask this from the point of
view of what am I missing?

I can't see how this would not always work because for any given location you
would always have a location with the precision increasing from R to L. That
is, if something happened in Australia and that is all I knew then the location
is Australia and it would be grouped with all other Australian locations. If I
knew it was in Sydney then automatically I know it is Sydney, New South Wales,
Australia. As long as I always stick with my own "standard" for any given
country then surely the location list R-L sorting will work?

Regards,
Gavin...