If you live in a rural area of the county then you skip the city

1)   , Lamar, Mississippi, United States

Means either the person lived in a rural area or it means that I don’t know
which town

2)   I don’t abbreviate states

3)  I too have towns that are in different counties depending on the year

Purvis, Lamar, Mississippi, United States [1906 and later]

Purvis, Marion, Mississippi, United  States [before 1906]

Michele