Marg,
Depending on the time frame I have locations that are Upper and Lower Canada,
Canada West and Canada East. For those locations I also edit the place location
and put the time frame that it was with that name and I include the following
explanation:

1841-1867
In 1791 the Constitution Act divided Quebec (the former New France) into Upper
and Lower Canada. Each had its own legislature and its own unique civil law
codes and rules of land tenure. Upper Canada was largely English-speaking and
Lower Canada was almost entirely French-speaking. In 1841 the Act of Union
united Upper and Lower Canada as the Province of Canada with two halves --
Canada West and Canada East -- collectively known as "The Canadas."

Then in 1867 the British North American Act created the Dominion of Canada and
Canada East and Canada West became separate provinces known as Quebec and
Ontario. Also that year the Province of Canada, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
agreed to join together. These dates are important to family historians because
references to Upper and Lower Canada indicate a date before 1841; references to
Canada West and Canada East means sometime between 1841 and 1867, and any
reference to Ontario implies a time after 1867. When someone born before 1867
told an American census taker that they were "born in Canada" they usually
meant Ontario, but might mean Quebec.

Russ Strong