On 2012/05/16 14:43, leo macdonald wrote:

> Could it be possible that "supp" might be short for "supported by", I have an
> old Indenture which binds an apprentice and a weaver. Part of the Indenture
> requires the weaver to provide bed, board, lodging, clothing and washing of
> linens in house ...

I wouldn't think so, this is a baptism from an English parish register and in
the 18th century the incumbents were pretty hot when it came to ascribing
paternal responsibility for illegitimate children. If the fellow wouldn't admit
it, and the girl didn't let on, but everybody just 'knew', then there was often
a note added to the register entry which named the man as the 'supposed' or
'putative' father. In the end, it all came down to who they could make
responsible for the child's long-term support.

--
Regards,
Mike Fry