On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:16:48 -0700 Marg Strong wrote

 > Tony, <snip>
 >
 > Since MRIN refers to marriages, do you handle the RIN of unmarried
 > people the same way?

Unmarried children's files are stored in their parents' folder until
they marry, then they get their own folder and their files get moved there.

I create a MRIN folder whenever I get an image or other M/M file which
relates to the marriage or the unmarried children.  Usually, the first
thing is a census image, sometimes a marriage certificate or whatever.
I don't have MRIN folders for marriages without any files.

Anything which relates to the married couple or to one or both of them
incorporates the MRIN in the file name, so I might have "1891 Census
(M0123).jpg" and would reference that for a census event for each person
in the household.  If husband and wife are in different places then the
main household gets "1891 Census (M0123)" but the other one gets "1891
Census (M0123) - Mary Anne (I04986)".  If the census image spreads over
two pages, the first one has "part 1" and the second "part 2" added to
the end.

Any unmarried children at home come under the main census, but an
unmarried child living away from home would get "1891 Census - George
(I01234)", which would be stored in the parents' folder.  Similarly
birth certificates or death certificates for unmarried children just
have their name and RIN included in the file name and are stored in the
parents' folder.

Once an unmarried child marries and gets a file relating to that
marriage, they get their own folder and all their childhood files get
moved there.  Once one file from this new folder becomes known to
Legacy, I run a test all multimedia paths to realign everything.

Essentially, the file name reflects the marriage if the person is
married at the time of the image, but just has the RIN when they are
unmarried at that time.

If someone remarries, the new marriage gets a folder for files relating
to the new marriage but the "unmarried" info stays in the first marriage
folder.

If one of the couple dies and the other doesn't remarry then later
census images etc. go into the marriage folder with the MRIN in the
name, just as if they were both there.

Sometimes I have to leave part of one of the names (in the folder name)
blank.  Usually the wife's maiden name but sometimes the husband's first
name. Sometimes I just have an initial for a middle name. That's not a
problem in itself.  However, when I find out that info I change the
folder name and have to fix that up in Legacy.  Not a drama, just a
housekeeping chore.

There are some other rare issues, but I just put the file into the most
appropriate folder and name it including the most relevant numbers.

This does guarantee that all file names are unique.  It isn't too
complicated.  It does generate a lot of folders, but there is
essentially no limitation to how many Widows will let you have.
Performance isn't an issue, except something (probably Legacy) goes into
a disk thrash when I reference the first file in a new folder.

It works for me, your mileage may differ.

Cheers

Tony