Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:08:36 -0700
From: paula.ryb...@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [LegacyUG] Paper filing question (by family)
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com

I file my papers by family (I believe it's the system by Mills?), and have a
question for those of you who do likewise.  I don't wish to change how I file
the papers, because I do my research by family.
For a daughter, I have been filing all her papers for events prior to her
marriage (e.g., her birth record) in her parent's folder.  Then I file all her
papers for events after her marriage (including after her husband's death,
where applicable) in her marriage folder.  I haven't run into a case in my
lineage where the widow has remarried, but I would put her papers, beginning
with that marriage record, in a new folder for the second marriage.
For a son, I had not been doing likewise... or at least I was not consistent.
  Most times, I put all his papers (including birth record) in his marriage
folder, but discovered I had not done so on my current research project; I had
filed the birth register in his parents' folder.
Further, for most collateral lines (which up until recently I have not been
researching), I leave all the other children's papers in the parents' folder.
So, my question is this:  Where do YOU file the papers for life events prior to
marriage?  In the parents' folder?  Or in their own folder?Follow-up questions:
 Do you treat sons and daughters the same?  Do you treat grown, unmarried
children the same?
Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies,
 --Paula in Texas
Researching:  Adair Baker Beasley Benson Betz Bigley Blagrave Burton Chapman
Clement Clough Coppernoll Costine Daulton Dinwiddie Doody Ellis Exline
 Field Floran Floyd Gates Goodale Gordon Gump Hale Harbaugh Hind Hopkins Hughes
Hurdle Jones Klein Koyle Laswell McDonald Misner Passwaters Pelton Roberts
Roche Ryburn Sanford Short Singer Sullivan Weller Williams