But how do you handle differences due to, for example, different census
takers spelling things incorrectly?

I have one family shown at the same street address on three consecutive
censuses.  The first is in West Ham, Essex, the second in Forest Gate,
Essex and the third in West Ham, Forest Gate, Essex.

I also have street names spelt differently, where it is obviously the
same location; town names spelt differently, all sorts of issues.

I put in a request a few months ago for time-sensitive location details,
but I'm sure it will go the same way as all my other feature requests.

Tony