so far, I haven't had any documents that were wider than the wand. I did
try an experiment in which I scanned a wall chart that was 3 times wider
than the wand's width.  Scanned it in 3 sections and used my photo
program to put the three scans together.  Using a friend's Flip-Pal, it
took 21 scans to get the whole chart scanned and the stitching didn't
work - you could see where every scan was stitched to the others.

think of it this way - with the flip-pal, you can only scan about 1/3 to
1/2 of a regular 8x11 paper at the most.  I can do that same 8x11 in one
scan.  No need to keep stitching images together to get the whole thing.