On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:11:01 +0200
Mike Fry <emjay...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012/11/21 12:59, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>
> > Legacy requires me to uase the "City, County, State, Country"
> > hierarchy, and I am happy to use it if it helps.
>
> No it doesn't! That's a fallacy! Ignore the US-centric stuff if
> you're not interested in the US. And don't get too hung up on using
> the Geo Database - that tries to enforce the US style of naming
> locations on parts of the world that don't use it.
>
> Organise your locations according to how _you_ want to use them. You
> actually have possible 9 parts to a location; more than enough for
> any one. Just be consistent.

Thanks Mike.  The other thing about the Legacy database is its large
minimum squares.  I have seen it put places out in the ocean.

Just in case somebody reading this has seen counties in Australia:

In Victoria, where I live, the County is a Crown Lands unit, of no
relevance to addressing.  It is subdivided into Parishes.  County
Councils do exist in NSW, and they look after things like the
electricity supply, but they are never used in the U.S. fashion.  I
have no experience of the other states.

Doug.