On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:22:40 +0000
Ron Ferguson <ronfergy....@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> It is, in my view, also incorrect to use ", ," because this will
> indicate something is missing - there isn't! Every country's
> locations should be written as the locals do.

This was probably more necessary in the days before computers.  Its
other use is to make sure that the columns line up.  It is fine where
most of the places are in the USA, but I have only one family there.

For a co-operative site online I use TNG, and its maintainer tries to
make it compatible with Legacy.  It uses the Google database of places,
which seems to give no guidance whatever in formatting.

Doug.