  From: Kay Fordham<mailto:kayhawo...@earthlink.net>
  To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com<mailto:LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com>
  Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:25 AM
  Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Early Locations

  Hi Paula,

  Thanks for the response. I started out years ago recording place names as
they are currently, and this led to a great deal of confusion and wild goose
chases when researching - like looking for records in Maine when they were
actually in MA or looking in MA when they were actually in RI. I am now in the
process of changing all to what they were at the time my ancestor resided
there. While Animap addresses the county issue, it does not reveal the
3rd-place location. For instance MA, CT, RI go back to 1643. Essex, Middlesex,
Norfolk, and Suffolk were original counties at the time. Okay, what was the
correct nomenclature for the entire area? It was called the New England
Confederation in 1643. In 1686 it was the Dominion of New England. Animap does
not provide this information. What was it called when my ancestors were there
in 1630? And so on.

  I review Wikipedia and other sites for history of various areas, and guess
what -- there are many disparities among the sites as to dates of formation. I
am in the process of building a list, generally from the LDS site, so that I
have only one resource to go by. I am then entering the subsequent location
names in the notes section of the master source location.

  This is a great deal of work since my mother's people were all early New
Englanders or in New Amsterdam; however, I believe it will be worth the effort
when completed.

  Kay