I can’t see why a Source Writer source can’t be uploaded to Family Tree exactly
as it appears in Legacy. Source Writer sources (as opposed to basic sources)
appear to have a ‘template’ and a whole bunch of discrete fields for data
elements that allow Legacy to produce the source in a very specific format.
That formatted source can be transferred exactly as is to Family Tree (i.e.
exactly as it appears on a printed report). I’m sure Family Tree will take it
in as a just one long string of characters, but it should still be formatted
correctly. Surely the existing API does that.

The other direction (Family Tree to Legacy) is much more problematic. Family
Tree must produce a generic API to work with multiple client programs like
Legacy, Roots Magic, and all the others interfacing with it, and all of those
programs have different database structures for “Source Writer”, or more
generically ‘Templated” sources. I can’t see how Family Tree, or even Legacy,
could parse the outgoing/incoming source data to meet the needs of these
various systems. In fact, even if they had a data structure that fit Legacy’s
needs, how would Legacy know which template among several options to use?

Paul