In my experience, libraries (including the Family History Library in Salt
Lake City) and archives (for example, Maryland State Archives) are eager to
have a copy of your printed genealogy BOOK. Of course that involves
printing, binding, shipping. Although the FHL used to prefer an unbound
copy and they'd scan it then bind it themselves, check to see if that's
still true. (Of course you could include a CD _with_ the book.) FHL wants a
donation/permission form.

As for donating your database -- you could do that to RootsWeb or
FamilySearch if you prefer non-commercial sites, or ancestry.com which is a
pay site. There are dozens of smaller sites each with their own policies.
Myself, I am thinking RootsWeb and FamilySearch. Cheers, Dee in Maryland