I hope I’m not extending this discussion more than necessary, but it is very
interesting, but now I am somewhat confused about what I should do; I’m pretty
new at using Legacy, and haven’t ventured out into sorting/finding/making
reports yet, nor am I  very tech saavy;  but now I am concerned about what will
or will not show up in a report that I send along to someone else; I would be
sending this (hopefully) as GEDCOM to others mostly outside USA, but after
seeing all this discussion I may need to print/send manually. ..I have these
questions, please clarify if I am understanding the viewpoints expressed
correctly, likely 2 slightly different topics, but hopefully make sense:

1.       Regarding the cemetery documentation itself;  if we are to put commas
in “4” places, as Sherry suggests, what is the purpose of the dash instead of
the comma, e.g.  if you have cemetery, town, county, state, and ?? country; is
it to “limit” the sorting to 4 fields? Or is it just to tie the cemetery
location to the town for geographical purposes?  What happens if there are 5
fields? Does the program look at the two words with the dash as one word?  And
what “types” of reports does this make a difference in? Does it make a
difference in a GEDCOM output? And then how do others “outside” USA suggest
writing the pattern? If I were to use the “commas” similarly for foreign
addresses, would the “sort” function work the same way? Or is the program
“coded” only for USA so that e.g. the second “word” is the town, third “word”
is state/county, etc?

2.       I see the back and forth preferences of listing cemetery in Events
field vs. burial location line. I have been putting cemetery in location line
because it made more sense to me, but if it’s better to put in “events” field,
some say that WON’T show up in a report? Is that true, and in what cases?  It
does seem like more work to list in the events section, and I’m confused now
about what are the benefits of doing so. . .if someone could explain more
clearly why it’s better? In other words, is it only a gedcom issue, or does it
have to do with certain TYPES of reports, or sorting?  If it means I have to
manually “adjust”/ edit that particular  info like in a text file to send
someone, just to make sure they get the information, then I want to do it
another way, which would be. . . .???

3.       And then, the events issue, when transferring to a gedcom, do “other”
events such as census listings, or occupations, get excluded as well? If so,
what can be done about this, besides manually editing the info in a word
processing program?  I have thousands of people in my database and there has
got to be an easier way.

4.       What happens in reports if the additional cemetery address location is
listed into the text/comment area under “source” documentation of the cemetery
itself? I’m assuming that means no geographical mapping functionality, but what
about for reports or gedcom?

Thanks so much for patience with these questions! Pam