Mike,

I am doing two one name studies that are heavily UK, and I am not in
the position, like many of us, to order a certificate for every BMD
event I can use in my study. So, I wanted to create a protocol for
recording vital event information based just on the BMD registration
information and make sure that it was clear visually that this
registration info was the source of the vital event information.

I have created a series of events: Birth, Marriage, and Death
Registrations. This is where I record the UK BMD registration records.

Unless I have a better date for the actual birth, marriage or death,
I will use those registration Q dates for birth, marriage, and death.
BUT, if I have a more accurate date, I will use the more accurate date.

--> When I record a Registration event, I use the Registration
District (RD) as the location. If I use a registration date for a
vital event date, I will also use the RD location as the vital event
location, unless I have a better location from census or elsewhere.

For instance, if I have a baptism date, I will record the birth dates
as "before <baptism date>", unless the birth registration date was in
a previous quarter to the baptism date.

I will follow a similar protocol with a death date if I have a burial date.

If I have a death date, I record a burial date as an after <death
date> (unless I have the burial date) so that date field is not empty
and chronology reports are accurate.

Yes, when a death date is a Q date, a burial date cannot be created
using this approach.

Yes, the death registration event is setup so it is not included in a
problem report as it logically should always be after death.

BTW, a lot of work went into assuring that the Q dates and other
approximate dates do the right thing when doing PP Alerts. There may
be some conditions we did not test and some that logically could
never be 100% right, but we have definitely minimized the number of
cases where users will need to do the exclusions and the number of
cases where you miss a problem that should have been caught.

john.