I am still not clear what to do here.

I see that the Option 6.2 is for those people willing to let Legacy manage
their media and store it all in a single location, which may be what I wind up
being forced to do, even though it will cause a great deal of immediate term
work and a lot more on-going management effort on my partĀ  because everything
is lumped together in one enormous folder with no way other than file name and
file type to distinguish people pix from source pix from video clips from
location pix ...

That is because the Media Relinker tool does not seem to have a granularity
finer than entire disk drive level. My K drive is not exclusively for my Legacy
files. So there are tens of thousands of other media files on the K drive that
I do not want include in the search by the Media Relinker. But there seems to
be no way to do that. Am I missing something about how to configure the Media
Relinker, or is it going to look at my entire K drive? The notion that any
media file on my computer or on a particular drive is fair game for Legacy
makes Legacy a very nasty neighbor.

It looks like I am either being forced to either (a) dedicate my entire K drive
to Legacy by the Media Relinker looking only at the entire drive and not at a
specific designated folder and all of its sub-folders or (b) dump all my files
into a single Media folder, dealing with file name duplications in the short
term and a massive hodge-podge of files on an on-going basis for as long as I
use Legacy in the future.

Are these really my only two choices?

If those are really what I am being forced to do, then I will have to go with
B, ugly as it is.

Whatever you were thinking when you convinced yourselves that this extremely
significant migration issue should be glossed over and not fully addressed in
your announcements and testing and advance online support considerations was a
self-delusion. It is one thing to create new features and ways of doing things.
It is another when you do not fully disclose and support the upgrade from prior
versions and leave so much work to your customers, work for which there is no
guidance already in place for such an obvious issue.