R G,

Yes, there are many variations on the theme...

I do want to assure you that you can format the short names.

Look at the headers for the GeoXXXCodes.txt files
in the Misc folder and you will see something like this:

* Special characters + and - mark state/province names to use:
*    + = Marks the preferred (long) name to use for a state/province.
*    - = Marks the abbreviated (short) state/province name to use.

I run Legacy almost exclusively to show short
names. So I setup short names for how I want
names to appear in reports, etc. (I have a long
standing request to be able to export Short names
in Gedcom that I will get one of these days.... ;-))

For example, I could have:

Long name:  Durham, Durham, England, UK
Short Name: Durham, County Durham, England

Long name:  Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
Short Name: Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, United States

A lot of trial and error went into the creation of my -Alt files.

I still cannot get them to handle Country, State,
and County level locations as I want. (I use ____
[4 underscores] for any minor unknown place part;
I often have to replace the county with this when
the source does not give enough info to identify
which county an event took place in.) So I have
to create these manually. I always identify a
county part as a county (No Boston Suffolk,
Massachusetts for me...); I enter US states with
their postal codes {sorry, but Bing maps does
better with postal codes than state names...);
and designate localities with Twp., etc. if that is what source gives.

Long Name:   ____, ____, ____, France
Short Name:  France

Long Name:   ____, Orleans Parish, LA
Short Name:  Orleans Parish, Louisiana

---> I Geocode Countries to their equivalent of
the US Capitol building; States, to the State
Capital building, and Counties to the County seat
and County courthouse (if I can find it!).

john.