-----Original Message-----
From: Jenny M Benson [mailto:ge...@cedarbank.me.uk]

> And what if you don’t know the source of your source, but you have a
> census image or a vital record image in front of you?

I usually add a Comment to the effect that the image was supplied by X.
  You can add a Source Comment or a Detail Comment, or both,  whichever you
deem appropriate.

> And finally, once I’ve figured out the output format I’m supposed to
> have, how do I get that result in Legacy?

You don't need to worry about the format because Legacy does all the formatting
for you.  If you are using SourceWriter just fill in whatever fields are
appropriate (*) and you will see a Preview of the output as you go along.  This
may also happen with Basic Sourcing but it's been so long since I've used that,
I've forgotten!

(*)  Probably a good idea to remind people again that you do not necessarily
need to fill in EVERY field, nor even worry about a field name possibly not
describing the data you are entering into that field.