From: Don Hanson [mailto:terra...@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:34 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] sourcing questions

Kirsty,

I source what I, myself, know. In this case, the source of your evidence is the
person who supplied the info. I would note where you might find the original,
so that you or another researcher could more easily view it first-hand. But you
did not personally view the source document. You aren’t even sure that the
person supplying it did. For me, a source documents the source of the
information that I used to reach a conclusion. Everything else goes into
determining the quality of that source. For some facts, I may not want to have
better sources. I may not be able to justify the expense, or maybe a better
quality source doesn’t exist. So, for my purposes, the source is what I used,
not what I could have used. The ‘coulda, shoulda, woulda goes into notes.

Don