Thanks Lee,

I was reminded this morning that even original documents may contain
inaccuracies and is a reason to not rely solely on a single source. When our
oldest son registered for a sports league, we ordered a certified copy of his
birth certificate. Everything looked ok EXCEPT he was a she according to the
document. A quick note to the county and we had a corrected certified copy…with
female crossed out and male written above it!

My brother was born while my dad was overseas during WWII. Church records
showed his birth 9 months after the recorded marriage. But, letters from him
that my mom had kept hidden showed that he was conceived several months prior
to the marriage. (Not uncommon during the war, but as far as the church was
concerned, they accepted what my parents said.

It was asked whether there was concern that a photocopy could be faked.
Hopefully, those examples from my immediate family show that inaccuracies creep
in for many rather innocent reasons. I can look at Chris and see he’s not
female, that was ‘better’ evidence than the original source document. The many
letters from my dad to my mom were ‘better’ evidence than Church or County
documents. It’s why I won’t be locked in to conventional wisdom regarding
sources.

Don