I too have been curious about this.  The folder structure of Legacy 7
and earlier was different from what I've seen/heard for Legacy 8. For
Legacy 7 and earlier I believe the default was:
Data
...docs
...pictures
...sounds
...videos
(Or was Data folder, by default, at the same level as the others . . . I
forget)

But with Legacy 8 it appears it is:
main folder
...data
...media

Do pictures, sounds, videos, and docs all default to this one "media"
folder now? (assuming one starts from scratch and accepts the
defaults.)  I do not see a way to individually specify these individual
media locations under Legacy 8 - all I see is ONE setting at 6.2.  Do
they get stored in sub-folders under media, such as:
...media/pictures
...media/docs
...media/video
...media/sounds

What about when I open my Legacy 7 file using Legacy 8 and it converts
it and makes a brand new database, does it move EVERYTHING to the new
location(s)?  Or are my pictures left at their old location?

Personally, I've always created this folder structure to avoid the
"windows rules" when it gets stored under "My Documents".  This allowed
others to more easily get to the files if they logged into my computer
under their name.
windata
...legacy7
...,,,PattonTree
...,,,...Data
...,,,...Docs
...,,,...pictures
...,,,...Sounds
...,,,...video
...,,,TestTree
...,,,...Data
...,,,...Docs
...,,,...pictures
...,,,...Sounds
...,,,...video
...,,,SampleTree
etc.

I'm using the ...  and ,,, as a simple way to indicate a folder level.
A more accurate way of showing it would be:
C:\windata\Legacy-v7\Patton-tree\Data
C:\windata\Legacy-v7\Patton-tree\Docs
C:\windata\Legacy-v7\Patton-tree\pictures
etc...

Again - my concern - when I convert to Legacy version 8 - do the media
files stay where they are and the version 8 pointers point to the old
location?  Or do the data AND THE MEDIA files all get moved to one of
these 2 locations:
C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\Legacy Family Tree\Data
C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\Legacy Family Tree\Media
(again, I'm talking by default.  I'm assuming I can manually put them
where ever I want if I want to mess with and override the program defaults.)

If Legacy 8 moves the media files, what about any media files contained
in the version 7 folders that is NOT referenced directly by legacy 7 -
will they get moved?  (Foolishly I have a folder under my pictures
folder of my "unshrunk pictures" - and these files are NOT referenced
anyplace within Legacy.)

If the media files stay where they are (under my legacy7 folder), what's
the easiest way of moving them and relinking them?  (That is, can the
program move them, or do I move them manually and then do a relink
within the program?)

Thanks,
Bob