From: Cathy Pinner [mailto:genea...@gmail.com]
Sent: January 01, 2014 06:21 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] how to show end of line

Hi Kim,

It would help a little to know why and where you want to show "end of line".

Legacy has a couple of tools that may help and save using up a tag number.

I don't use tags for things that can be found easily - but this is where the
why and where comes in.

Legacy has a search that will find them. See the Miscellaneous tab.

There's a search for direct line ancestors with no parents and another for the
entire file for linked individuals with no parents - though this includes
people who may not be linked to your main tree and so may need to be used in
connection with another search.

I only have one file for my family research. I find it too muddling to have
people in more than one file so years ago I merged my little surname study and
village study into my main file and have never regretted it. It means I have a
lot of little trees and unlinked people in my file but they do no harm (and can
be seen in the View -
Trees) Now with the Duplicate check feature, I'm instantly alerted to the fact
I may already have someone in the file. It was driving me crazy to find I'd
updated someone who was part of my family in my little surname study but not in
my main file - and finding other people in the village were actually family.
Yes I could have then used Split Screen or some other way to copy and merge
these people over but for me it's far easier not to.

I've also done some research for cousins in law etc and it's all there too.

So if I were doing this I'd tag the group I was interested in and then run this
search on the whole file for linked individuals with no parents and then search
within that search list for those tagged x.

Another way: Use the Ancestor/Descendant Interest. This is a feature I don't
even have turned on. It's at Options - Customise 2.7 and it's a Family File
specific setting. When it is on you have two small boxes on Individual 's
Information Edit screen which can be set from
0 to 3  These can be searched on so you can find all with Ancestor Interest set
at 3, for example.

Another way: Add [[end of line]] to the given name. Then it is obvious in the
Name List and Index View but doesn't affect output.

Another way: Use the suffix field - again making use of privacy brackets.

Another way: enter a To-Do with a distinctive category so you can get a list.

I'm sure you can think of others.

It all depends on why and where you want to mark them.

Cathy