On 09/01/2014 11:57, Ed Ladendorf wrote:
> A direct line ancestor, Heinrich Ladendorf, has been found listed as
> Henry Lander in the 1860 census. He has also been found listed as H
> Ladendorff (an extra "F"), Henry Landenderf, etc. on different
> sources. There are several other variations.
>
> Would you list every spelling you find, or just the ones where it is
> obvious they should be listed, i.e. Henry Lander or Henry Landenderf?
> Would you also do the same for those who are not direct line? Thanks for
> any direction. I'm trying to get it right this time.

I record EXACTLY WHAT I SEE, so when recording Heinrich's 1860 Census
entry I would record his name as Henry Lander (this would be part of the
entry in the Desc field) and if he was head of the household I would put
"household of Henry Lander" as part of the Source Detail.

What I would almost certainly NOT do is enter any of those names in the
AKA field, which I reserve for other names by which a person was
actually known, not for spelling errors, typos etc.  I know that if a
person is named, for example, John Clark, I need to look for Clark,
Clarke, Clerk - with all the variations of John - and if I cite a Source
where he is referred to as Jno Clarke I think anyone can see the
connection to John Clark.  If John Clarke is brought up by his
stepfather Mr Brown and regularly uses the name John Brown, then that is
an AKA and needs to be recorded as such.

--
Jenny M Benson