Hi Leo,
I'm not Jenny and haven't read the whole thread - but if you can put
the transcription in the Master Source text, then you are almost an
extreme splitter.
For example: I have a Census source for each year for each country.
(most of my research is in the UK) But even if I had one for each
county in the US for each year, I'd hardly transcribe the whole
census for the county and put it in the Master Source Text. ;-)

I rarely use the Master Source Text. I used to for certificates when
I had very few certificates and I saw each one as a separate source -
but now I have a Master Source for certificates from a particular
Registry Office and the transcription again goes into the source detail text.

So the only sources with Master Source text or images are those for
unique items - like a particular Family Bible.

Cathy