That worked - no error msgs anymore.  Thanks.

And, yes, I know there is a risk to not using the defaults.  That's why
I was upfront with the info on where I installed it (so support could
simply reply with "no defaults, not our job to help you").  As I think
about it now, however, not using defaults could be problem when I share
my file with my relatives - we should both have the same directory
structure and using the defaults is the safest way to do that.

I began using my own folder structure both because of the security
"protection" hassles placed on the system folders (my documents, program
files, etc), and because I got so frustrated with MS moving the "my
documents" folder to different locations for different versions of
Windows.  I could never remember where I wanted to put my photo's and
such so I could easily find them from within Legacy.

But it sounds like Legacy got the Vista/Win7/Win8 "kinks" worked out,
the kinks that they had at one time with Legacy 7 when it used system
folders for the program.

However, the default puts the data in the USER's "my documents", not in
PUBLIC "my documents" - correct????  Thus if my sister does not have
this folder structure:
C:\Users\Bob\Documents
Won't she have problems anyway?
Using my own structure for data also solves the problem if my wife logs
on to my PC under her ID.  The default file location would put the data
in MY folders (correct?) so she'd have problems getting to them.  Where
if I put them in a "common" folder she doesn't have that problem.  So I
would put the data either in the "system common area" of:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Legacy-v8\Patton-master\Data
or my own data structure of:
C:\windata\Legacy-v8\Patton-master\Data
We would both have access to either location no matter who logged on.
And if I use my own folder structure for DATA, I don't have to worry
about MS moving the "My Documents" folder to different locations for
different Windows versions.

So I guess I could (and should) install the program in its default and
still leave my data (family file, pictures, etc) in my own folder structure.

Thoughts?

Bob

Thanks