Since this is off topic, I’m replying privately.

“Support” is a term that means different things to different people. Extended
support for all of the Windows XP versions ends April 8,2014. Support for the
Service packs has already ended. What is extended through July 14, 2015 is
Antimalware support for XP. For consumers, that applies to Microsoft Security
Essentials.

But, patches will not be issued after April 8. 2014 for XP. So, if you have
Security Essentials, you will be able to detect and maybe block certain malware
on XP machines, but the underlying vulnerability will not be patched, and the
malware could infect the system after that detection.

It’s meant to give a little more time to finish the migration to Win7 or Win8.
But, it will not make XP secure. XP is not very secure when it’s fully patched,
after April 8, it will be even less so.

Win 7 is secure and not as much of a radical change as Win8 is. All of my
programs worked first time. Secure and stable, I have no reservations
recommending the upgrade to Win 7. My only advice would be to forget everything
that you learned with XP. Learn the way that Windows 7 wants you to work. If
you do that, you won’t get frustrated and within a few hours, you’ll be so
comfortable that you’ll wonder what the fuss was about! <grin> I’ve given that
advice for a couple of years and people still thank me.

Don Hanson