A bolded name means it is on the "Preferred Direct Line" (when the last box in
Options>Customize>3.8 is checked).  Look at the "P" column in Edit Children to
see the "+" and "*" indicators that can appear left of a name (not to be
confused with "+" on the right side of a name).  Help files>Search>Siblings
List explains "What are those characters?" which can also be reached with the
Help button on the Edit Children window.

Unchecking that option will un-bold the preferred direct line names.
Apparently, the preferred direct line is stored somewhere in the database
because if you again check the box, the names are bolded again without having
to run Tools>Set Direct Line.  I just tried both ways and the current release
seems to function as expected.  What is not functioning yet is the bolding in
Descendant tab.  Also, the preferred direct line is not bolded in the
Spouse/Child or Siblings Lists in Pedigree tab but they do have the left side
"+".  I believe that the preferred direct line names should only be bolded on
all screens when the option is checked and they should have the left side "+"
when the option is unchecked.  Another check box is probably needed in 3.8 so
that one box would be similar to what it is now "Bold direct-line children
names in lists" and a box "Show plus sign left of direct-line children names in
lists".  Then the user could select none,
 bold, "+", or both.  The important thing is that the notation would be
consistent across all displays.

Ron Taylor

On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:10 AM, Kurt Kneeland <kurt-kneel...@sbcglobal.net>