Well, the constitution went into effect in 1789 (not 1797).  GW took the
oath of office on 30 Apr 1789 in NYC.

Of course, the 13 colonies declared in July 1776 that they were "free and
independent states." The Articles of Confederation" were ratified on 1
March 1781 but the government that resulted certainly did not result in
"united states."

Personally, I use the name of the colony/state only prior to 1789 and USA
beginning in 1789.  And of course, the boundaries of the states/colonies
changed with some frequency, especially in the colonial period.

You may have "a simple place-name question," but the answer is quite
complicated.

Pat