Joan,

What version of legacy are you using? Version 7 or the new version 8.

What steps did you follow when you were doing back ups?
Joan, I have only V7 so this is how I could do a backup in two ways:
1. Using the menu option across the top of the screen
File | Backup File
Do you remember if you had Data Files selected
and do you know which drive it save to (you mentioned a CD - is this your
backup or the Legacy-purchased installation CD?)
2. When you closed your legacy program, and it may have prompted you to do
a backup.

This may help you to assist others in trying to solve your problems:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/show-hide-file-name-extensions#show-hide-file-name-extensions=windows-vista

:)
Margaret