 From: Ron Bernier <ronaldbern...@bernfrin.net>
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:48 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Analyse Source Quality

Kathy,

The analysis is optional because it is intended for you to be able to determine
the level of confidence you have in the source you are citing.  I fail to
understand what feedback you expect.  Why would you expect your own analysis to
show up in a printout?  Again, the analysis of the source you are citing is for
your use.

Ron Bernier
Woonsocket, RI

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Kathy Thompson <kmthoms...@gmail.com> wrote:

I read that Ron - but it doesn't answer my question of what use is it if we
don't get any feedback from our answers.

>And does it show up in any source printouts on reports? if it is supposed to
>please tell me how to get it to as it's not doing that for me.
>

>On 24 December 2013 22:24, Ron Bernier <ronaldbern...@bernfrin.net> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Kathy Thompson <kmthoms...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>What is the point of this feature?
>>>

>>>I understand it has to do with evidence and proof - but why has it been
>>>included in Legacy and where do we see the results of answering the
>>>individual questions?
>>>

>>>Yes, I also understand it is optional, but if the results of selecting the
>>>answers don't show up anywhere - what's the point of having it?
>>>

>>>Or am I missing something about it?
>>>

>>As you indicated - use is optional.  It assists you in determining your level
>>of confidence in the source information you are utilizing.  >From Legacy help:
>>

>>"The Source Quality screen is reached by clicking the Analyze Source Quality
>>button on the Detail Information tab of the Source Citation Detail screen.
>>
>>The basic principle is explained by Elizabeth Shown Mills in
her Evidence Explained book:

>>SOURCES provide INFORMATION from which we select EVIDENCE for
ANALYSIS.  A sound CONCLUSION may then be considered "PROOF."

>>SOURCE
>>Select whether this source is an Original or a Derivative of the original.
>>Or chooseI don't know if you are not
sure.

>>INFORMATION
>>Select Primary if the information in the source was provided
by someone with firsthand knowledge, or Secondary if the information is
secondhand.  Or again,I don't know if you are not sure.

>>EVIDENCE
>>If the source answers the question you are trying to resolve all by
itself, select Direct.  If the source helps to answer the research
question but doesn't do it directly, select Indirect.  Or, if you can
infer an answer to the research question by the lack of information in the
source, select Negative.  Or, if you are not sure, select I don't
know."