Hi Jay,

I also have a few of notes in name fields to warn the reader. For example, when
I think I've found the parents of an ancestor, I add them, make them invisible
so they're not published and for my use visually on the screen add to the given
name - guess (meaning best guess rather than wild guess), possibly or probably
depending on my evidence. When I'm almost sure I remove the invisibility but
leave the probably to make it very obvious I'm not 100% sure of this link. I
also, of course, put the reasoning in notes.

I agree that clarity is more important than beauty or keeping to name standards.

Cathy

J.M. "Jay" Ingalls  wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Have not done an actual count, but have about 100 with "notes" in the
> given name field, out of about 65,000 people. And very few will be the
> ancestors of my descendants. I collect data on all Ingalls of all
> spellings in the USA and Canada, warn people when I send them data
> that they need to verify everything. I will not li
ve long enough to do
> the work for "everyone".
>
> The suggestion to put the notes in the given name field in the double
> brackets so they will not be published is good and bad. It may look
> better, but does not warn the reader that I suspect there is a problem
> with the data. I believe "function" or "usability" is much more
> important than "beauty".
>
> Jay
> ===========================
> On 5/17/2014 8:51 PM, Ron Ferguson wrote:
>> Jay,
>>
>> Clearly you do not publish your work, so whatever takes your fancy is OK.
>>
>> However I would not like the job of sorting it all out should you
>> change your mind.
>>
>> Ron Ferguson
>> http://www.fergys.co.uk/
>>
>> Sent from my Xperiaâ„¢ smartphone
>>
>> "J.M. \Jay\ Ingalls " <jay_inga...@pipeline.com> wrote:
>>
>> Pat,
>>
>> I often put a note in the given name field, such as "Mary-Not Pat's
>> direct ancestor". Saves a lot of time, does not require reading the
>> notes.
>>
>> I have some I need to work on, Like
"John-May be wrong wife", etc.