My main file is about 255,000 and Legacy 8.0.0.427.  I do a check/repair
several times per week.  Running I7 Windows 7 64bit 16gb SATA drive (not SSD).

Make sure the disk drive has enough space for the temporary files used by the
SQL routines.  Always try to have 10 percent empty.

Try exporting the database to a new Legacy file and then try the check/repair.

You may have a defective disk drive.  Test it with the regular CHKDSK or some
other disk checking software.

The RAM may have a defect that is only coming into play when doing the
check/repair.  If you have multiple sticks, try swapping the sticks or
exchanging for new ones.

If all else fails, send the backup zip files to Legacy support and ask them to
try it on a computer with similar specs to yours.

I hope you find a cure.  That would definitely make me nervous if my file could
not finish the check/repair.  Please keep us informed as to any solution you
find.
Ron Taylor