Thanks Joseph,
I like your analysis!  I using Win 8.1 and now realize that some 'lockups' are
the computer doing something in the background without telling me.  Win8 has a
watchdog/auto repair mechanism and I've learned to wait out apparent lockups.
Win7 may have the same.  For instance, I got an error message saying there was
an issue with my graphics card, not good as this is my second card, and the
computer was 'locked'.  I didn't (couldn't) do anything and many minutes later
another message popped up to say that the repair was complete - and the
computer was working again!  There was no indication that the computer was
functioning or doing something in the background.  So, the extra 17 minutes it
took to do my last Legacy check/repair was likely, as you describe, the
'processor' deciding it more urgent things to do, even though the computer,
that time, was still functioning for other programs.

I'm one that is sure that there is nothing wrong with the database and I'm
quite sure it is not even a Legacy issue.  I think it is a Win8 (and Win7 ?)
'issue'.  Legacy is capable of handling large databases, but do keep those
databases maintained.   It would be interesting to know what OS is being used
when the long delays are experienced.  Of course the processor and memory are
factors in 'speed' - I still have my old computer set up and it is now
agonizingly slow compared to my new one.

I've left the rest of the 'thread' attached.

Bob A