HELP!  I'm caught in an endless "relink" and "gather" loop...!

I've finally recovered my more urgent apps, so I'm recovering Legacy now.
I downloaded v8 and installed it.
After one aborted restore (it restored the database on my external drive where
the backup file resides),
I copied the backup file and the media backup file to the C:\My
Documents\Legacy Family Tree folder... database into \Data and media into
\Media.
I used Legacy 8 to restore the database... perfect.
I then tried a few times to unzip (same as "extract all", right??).
A few surprise folders appeared... like the old C:\program files\Legacy
structure.
Eventually, I just moved the entire \Pictures folder (all my image files were
there) in under the Legacy Family Tree folder & renamed it \Media -- that
unzipping always confuses me... why doesn't it just put the unzipped files into
the same folder where the zipped file resides?  I digress.
I checked Options (Customize) and Legacy was looking for the files there...
\Media
I ran Relink and it relinked 1019 files, which sounded about right.  (Why did
it feel it had to search my whole computer, though?  All the files were right
there in the default folder...??)
However, the images weren't relinked at all.  I tried pull one up and Legacy
couldn't find it.  So, what did it link???
Sooo, I thought maybe I'm supposed to "Gather" them now??
I tried that, and then it got confusing...  I didn't like clicking yes for
Legacy to MOVE the files, but I figured it would just find them all where they
were since that's where they should be per the default folder designation.
I honestly don't know how many times I've clicked the "relink" because it seems
to be coming up for every stinking image file in the "gather" process.  Is this
right?
What's worse:  It doesn't stop--I can't exit out!

Can you please help me?  I'm stuck in this endless loop & cant' even close
Legacy to start over.
Seriously, though, if the files are all in the default folder, why is the
program having so much trouble?????
Thanks in advance,
--Paula