Bryan,

I should have said, that where I am seeing the results of my formatting
attempts is on a descendant narrative report .pdf.  What I am attempting to
format is a "sic."
Thus I have a Salford Twp., which is frequently referred to -- in wills
etc.-- as Sulford Twp.  So I sometimes try to enter
Sulford [*sic.*] Twp.
or perhaps
Sulford [*sic.*,* i.e.*, Salford] Twp.
I'm never trying to italicize the location itself.

Pat